Travelling to Sardinia by ferry is a convenient and cost-effective way to get to the beautiful Mediterranean island. Located just south of Corsica, Sardinia is the second-largest island in the Mediterranean and is known for its stunning beaches and crystal-clear waters. If you’re planning a trip to Sardinia, here is some information on ferry routes, costs, and more to help you plan your journey.
There are several ferry routes that operate between the mainland of Italy and Sardinia, as well as routes to other destinations in the Mediterranean.
From the Mainland of Italy:
The most popular route from the mainland of Italy is between the port of Civitavecchia (located just outside of Rome) and the port of Olbia (located on the northeastern coast of Sardinia). This route is operated by several ferry companies, including Tirrenia, Grimaldi Lines, and Grandi Navi Veloci. The journey takes around 8-9 hours and there are several departures per day. Another popular route is between the port of Livorno (located on the west coast of Italy) and the port of Olbia, which is operated by companies such as Moby Lines and Toremar. This journey takes around 10-11 hours and there are also several departures per day.
From Other Destinations in the Mediterranean:
If you’re looking to travel to Sardinia from destinations other than the mainland of Italy, there are ferry routes available from Corsica, France, Spain, and Tunisia, operated by companies such as Corsica Ferries, Sardinia Ferries, and Balearia.
The cost of a ferry ticket to Sardinia will depend on a number of factors, including the route, the time of year, and the type of accommodation you choose.
In general, the cost of a one-way ticket from mainland of Italy to Sardinia ranges from around 50 EUR to 150 EUR, depending on the route and the time of year. If you’re travelling during peak season (July and August), you can expect to pay more for your ticket.
Accommodation on the ferry ranges from standard seats to private cabins. Prices for private cabins start at around 50 EUR per person and can go up to 150 EUR or more, depending on the size of the cabin and the ferry company. If you choose to travel with a standard seat, you can expect to pay less, with prices starting at around 20 EUR.
Meals and Snacks:
In addition to the cost of the ferry ticket, you will also need to pay for any meals or snacks you purchase on board the ferry. Most ferries have a cafeteria or restaurant on board and a bar or cafe. Prices for food and drink on the ferry can vary, but you can expect to pay around 10-15 EUR for a meal and 5-10 EUR for a drink.
Planning Your Trip:
When planning your trip to Sardinia by ferry, it’s essential to book your tickets in advance, as they can sell out quickly during peak season. You can book your tickets directly with the ferry company or through a travel agent. It’s also a good idea to check the weather forecast before you travel, as rough seas can sometimes cause delays or cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Ferries to and from Sardinia
Booking and Planning:
- How can I book ferry tickets to Sardinia?
- You can book ferry tickets to Sardinia through ferry company websites, online booking platforms, travel agencies, or directly at the ferry terminals.
- What are the main ferry ports in Sardinia?
- The main ferry ports in Sardinia are Cagliari, Olbia, and Porto Torres, offering connections to various Italian and international destinations.
- Are reservations necessary for ferry travel to Sardinia?
- Reservations are recommended, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your preferred departure time and ensure availability.
- Are there different types of ferries available for travel to Sardinia?
- Yes, there are different types of ferries, including regular passenger ferries, high-speed ferries, and car ferries, offering various travel options.
- What is the average ferry travel time to Sardinia?
- Ferry travel times vary depending on the route and ferry type. It can range from a few hours to an overnight journey.
Onboard Facilities and Services:
- What facilities are available onboard the ferries to Sardinia?
- Ferries offer various amenities such as seating areas, cabins, restaurants, cafes, shops, and sometimes entertainment options.
- Can I bring my car on the ferry to Sardinia?
- Yes, you can bring your car on many ferry routes to Sardinia. Car ferries are available for transporting vehicles.
- Are there facilities for passengers with reduced mobility onboard?
- Most ferries have facilities for passengers with reduced mobility, including ramps, elevators, and designated seating areas.
- Can I bring my pet on the ferry to Sardinia?
- Many ferries allow pets, but specific regulations and fees vary between ferry companies. Check the pet policy before booking.
Traveling with Children:
- Are there facilities for families traveling with children?
- Yes, ferries often provide family-friendly facilities such as play areas, changing facilities, and kid-friendly meals.
- Do children require tickets for ferry travel to Sardinia?
- Yes, children usually require tickets, but some ferry companies offer discounts for children.
Departures and Arrivals:
- How early should I arrive at the ferry terminal before departure?
- It’s recommended to arrive at least one hour before departure for domestic routes and two hours for international routes.
- Is there parking available at the ferry terminals in Sardinia?
- Many ferry terminals have parking facilities for passengers traveling with vehicles.
- Can I stay in my vehicle during the ferry crossing?
- In most cases, passengers are required to exit their vehicles during the crossing for safety reasons.
Weather and Delays:
- Are ferry schedules affected by weather conditions?
- Yes, ferry schedules can be affected by adverse weather conditions. Delays and cancellations are possible in such cases.
- What should I do if my ferry is delayed or canceled?
- If your ferry is delayed or canceled, contact the ferry company for information about rescheduling or refunds.
Ferry travel to and from Sardinia offers a scenic and convenient way to reach the island. By familiarizing yourself with these frequently asked questions, you can ensure a smoother ferry experience and a memorable journey to Sardinia.